Access permits into Lake Taupo Forest are available for recreational purposes. To date, the main reasons permits are being obtained are for pig hunting, deer hunting, fishing and food gathering.
Those eligible to be issued a permit are:
- Current owners in Lake Taupo Forest Trust lands (Trust blocks)
- The children and grandchildren of an owner
- The spouse of a current owner
Eligible persons must first register with us to be entered on the ‘permit database’ – this entails providing relevant information about you and also requires a visit to the Lake Taupo Trust office, 81 Town Centre, Turangi 3334.
Download an application form here
Once you have registered on to the ‘permit database’ you may obtain a permit from either one of the following sites:
- Lake Taupo Forest Trust office, 81 Town Centre, Turangi (get directions)
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
- NZ Forest Managers’ office, Atirau Road, Turangi (get directions)
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Hunting & Fishing, 27 Gascoigne Street, Taupo (get directions)
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00am – 5:30pm, Saturday 8:00am – 4:00pm, Sunday and Public Holidays 9:00am – 4:00pm
Lake Taupo Forest Trust Permits are allocated for a 2-week period. A key is required to get into the forest and these can be obtained from the NZ Forest Managers’ office, Atirau Road, Turangi. Firewood is permitted from the designated woodsite on Kiko Road, extraction of firewood from any other area is prohibited.