Access to Forest
Access to Lake Taupō Forest
Summer Hours (Access) up until 9th May 2021:
- Between 4:00pm and 11:00 pm weekdays
- Between 5:00am and 11:00 pm weekends and public holidays
Winter Hours (Access) as of Monday 10th May 2021:
- Between 4.00pm and 8.00pm on weekdays
- Between 7.00am and 8.00pm on weekends and public holidays
Owners’ access is for recreational and cultural purposes only, such as pig hunting, deer hunting, fishing and food gathering. Download the Owner Access Policy December 2020.
To gain access to Lake Taupō Forest requires:
- Registering on the LTFT permit database;
- applying for an Access Permit
- picking up a FOB key to open and close gates.
Lake Taupō Forest is a commercial forest operations and due to Health and Safety regulations, owners’ access to the forest has to be restricted.
In mid-2019 the LTFT Trustees approved a pest control operation requested by OSPRI covering parts of LTFT land. This operation was undertaken on 25 November 2019. The operation covered the LTFT land located between the Waitetoko Stream and the Waimarino River (follow the link below to see a map), and used a combination of aerial 1080 application and ground-based control. This operation was discussed with owners at a hui in Turangi on 9 April this year. Please click on the following link for more info: Pest Control Operation.
Access permits into Lake Taupō Forest are available for recreational and cultural purposes, such as pig hunting, deer hunting, fishing and food gathering.
Those eligible to be issued a permit are:
- Current owners in Lake Taupō Forest Trust lands (Trust blocks)
- The children and grandchildren of an owner
- The spouse of a current owner
Forest Access for the Roar is from Saturday 27 March 2021 to Sunday 9 May 2021, please click the following link for more information – Roar Block Notice 2021.
To obtain access to the forest is a 3-step process:
1. Register on the LTFT Permit Database
Eligible persons must first register with LTFT to be entered on the ‘permit database’. This entails a visit to the Lake Taupō Trust office, 81 Town Centre, Tūrangi to provide ID and relevant information about yourself.
2. Obtain Access Permit
Once you have registered on to the ‘permit database’, you may obtain a permit from either one of the following sites:
- Lake Taupō Forest Trust office, 81 Town Centre, Tūrangi (directions), Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
- NZ Forest Managers’ office, Atirau Road, Tūrangi (directions), Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board, 81 Horomatangi Street, Taupō (directions), Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:00pm
Lake Taupō Forest Trust permits are allocated for a six month period.
3. Obtain FOB key
A key (FOB Key) is required to get into the forest. The first time you get a FOB you must do so from NZ Forest Managers’ office, Atirau Road, Tūrangi. Thereafter you can update your FOB key from either NZ Forest Managers, Tūrangi or from the Tuwharetoa Māori Trust Board office, Taupō.
For Lake Taupō Forest owners, firewood is permitted to be gathered from the designated collection site off Kiko Road. Extraction of firewood from any other area is prohibited.